Coagulation Sciences is a blood-testing innovator that has developed a Transfusion Management System to scientifically manage blood transfusions at the patient’s point-of-care. Coagulation Sciences’ system will improve outcome for patients who are bleeding, while simultaneously reducing healthcare costs.
Coagulation Sciences was formed by Dr. Sheldon Goldstein in response to the need for technology to diagnose and treat bleeding disorders in the operating room. Dr. Goldstein envisioned a new way to improve care of patients with severe bleeding by applying innovative science at their bedside during surgery (Point-of-Care). Coagulation Sciences will bring to market the Multiple Coagulation Test System (MCTS™). This technology will take the guesswork out of transfusion management, by performing evidence-based coagulation testing that is personalized for each individual patient. Coagulation Sciences is bringing Dr. Goldstein’s vision to commercialization for the benefit of patients, their doctors, and hospitals worldwide.
- One in ten hospitalized patients receives a blood transfusion.
- Most patients receive several units of blood.
- Blood tests to determine whether blood transfusions are needed are often non-specific or too slow to inform transfusion decisions.
- The result is that at least 30% of blood transfusions are unnecessary.
- Unnecessary blood transfusions increases risk to patients and waste billions of dollars annually in healthcare costs.
The MCTS Solution
Coagulation Sciences’ Multi Coagulation Test System
Coagulation Sciences has developed the first medical device to enable caregivers to perform rapid point-of-care analyses of blood clotting during critical procedures that will determine the most effective treatment. Branded the Multiple Coagulation Test System (MCTS™), this desktop device will:
- Automatically perform 26 blood tests simultaneously for up to 8 blood and coagulation therapies
- Performed fully automated testing using a single-use disposable Blood Testing Cartridge
- Determine the correct dose of the optimal therapy to stop bleeding
- Provide actionable results in less than 10 minutes, at the patient’s bedside
Targeted therapy to restore normal clotting will result in less bleeding and fewer transfusions. Beneficiaries include:
- Patients: for whom MCTS testing will minimize risks of blood transfusion
- Hospitals: for whom rapid control of bleeding translates into lower blood bank and operating room costs
- Insurers: for whom fewer complications result in decreased health-care costs